While on the road, anything can happen. You can safely cross the road in one moment, and then an accident occurs. This is quite unpredictable. This explains why crossing the road safely and driving safely is the right thing to do. Fortunately, there are traffic signs, guide signs, and warning signs on the road that are required for safe driving.
Traffic signs are meant to offer maximum control at any road intersection. They relay messages as far as what to do and what not to do. The main function of these señalamientos viales is to assign the right of away where there is contradicting movements at an intersection. In addition, they provide a seamless movement of conflicting flows. However, they can interrupt massive flows to allow crossing of minor movements which may not move safely into a given intersection.
When timed properly, these signs can help increase traffic handling. Also, when installed under a given condition of its use, they can be valuable in improving safety and efficiency of both the pedestrian and vehicular traffic. Also, they can play a vital role in reducing different types of accidents.
These types of signals help to control vehicular and pedestrian traffic by assigning the way to traffic movements to allow the flow of traffic. When properly designed, located, and maintained traffic signals provide these advantages:
- Interrupting heavy traffic to let pedestrians or other vehicles to cross it
- Helps in offering a continuous movement of traffic at a specific speed in a particular way or route
- Helps in reducing the frequency and severity of different types of crashes or accidents
- Increases traffic handling capacity at a given intersection
Disadvantages of Traffic Signals
Just like anything else, there are also disadvantages. You should note that these signals may not be a solution to various problems that occur in road intersections. For instance, an unwarranted signal can affect the efficiency and safety of the traffic. This means that it can cause these disadvantages:
- Some drivers disobey these signals
- Increasing traffic congestion, air pollution, and fuel consumption
- Increase in use of less-adequate roads to avoid traffic signs
- Excessive delay due to time allocated by the traffic signals
Nowadays, you will find the traffic signs nearly everywhere. They have been found to be effective in certain areas where the traffic flow is quite heavy. For instance, you can see them in loading bays and site entrances.…Read More